Our heart has always been to live out the Gospel of Jesus and find tangible ways to love our city. With the way we’re setup, we have the latitude to allocate a larger percentage of our funds back out to loving and serving people. We tried version 1 of this challenge last year with varying level of success. This year we’ll try again and use the money that God has blessed us with to bless others. Stories to come of how God will use and challenge us. Here are the guidelines and parameters:
GENEROSITY CHALLENGE v.2
Objective: To find ways to “act justly and love mercy” [Micah 6:8] within the community that we live.
- Practice hearing God’s voice and being generous;
- Develop an eye for the poor, marginalized, neglected, under-privileged;
- Find creative ways to make our resources matter to those who need it; and
- Put our faith into action.
Summary: Each person in the group is expected to give towards the challenge – if you tithe regularly, use your October and November giving and put it towards the challenge. Total up the amount for your house community and Haven will match what you’ve collected up to $5,000. Listen for what God wants you to give and give it.
The hope is NOT that we would just donate money; but that we’d pray, seek God’s heart and see our local community through the eyes of God. Our heart is to find opportunities to tangibly love and serve those around us and catch a glimpse of God’s heart. The goal is always to love God and people.
- Pray – Pray for God to see people who are marginalized, neglected and experiencing injustice.
- Investigate – Investigate the needs of these people.
- Discuss – Discuss tangible ways to serve, love and empower these people.
- Devise – Devise a concrete plan [objective, costs/materials, date, required personnel].
- Pray and Listen– Pray for God to revise, adjust and provide in regards to the plan.
Sample Ideas [not limited to]:
- Building Handicap Access Ramp for People w/Disabilities;
- Establish and Resource a Computer Lab for a Community Center in an Under-Resourced Neighborhood;
- Helping to Renovate a Food Bank or Shelter; or
- Prepare and Give Out Street Survival Kits for Homeless.
- If project requires, Haven may provide more funds upon request.
- You may choose to donate some money to a charitable organization – however do NOT donate more than 50% of it. Use a significant portion to propel you into your community.
- Invite in your friends/coworkers to join in your challenge.
- Compete Project by March, 2010.
Questions/comments: info [at] ihaven [dot] org